Every second Friday of the month, the Ackland participates as a venue in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro 2nd Friday ArtWalk, staying open until 9:00 PM and offering a variety of interactive, all-ages activities in addition to all exhibitions being open to visitors. Admission is free.
Upcoming 2nd Fridays:
An Evening on Art Collecting
Friday, 14 December
Seasoned art collectors and those just starting out are invited to attend a lively “Evening on Art Collecting,” presented in connection with the Ackland’s current exhibition Birthday Presents, featuring sixty works of art gifted to the Museum in honor of its sixtieth anniversary. Have your burning art-collecting questions answered by area professionals—including local gallerists, auction house experts, and art advisors—at “Ask an Expert” stations around the Museum. At 7:30, join us for a dynamic conversation with two of Birthday Presents donors, Smith Freeman and Austin Scarlett, moderated by Lauren Turner. A pop-up print sale featuring UNC student artists will encourage visitors to start—or grow!—their art collections during the ArtWalk!
Ask an Expert Tables:
– Natalie Knox, manager of Frank Gallery (Chapel Hill, NC)
– Michelle Gonzalez-Green, artist and owner of The584 (Durham, NC)
– Lauren Sanford, Prints & Multiples Director, Leland Little Auctions (Hillsborough, NC)
– Lauren Harkey, Art Advisor, Hodges Taylor Art Consultancy (Charlotte, NC)
– Lauren Turner, Assistant Curator for the Collection, Ackland Art Museum (UNC-Chapel Hill)
– Smith Freeman & Austin Scarlett, collectors who have donated to Birthday Presents
– Lauren Turner, Ackland Art Museum, moderator
Pop-Up Print Sale:
– Printmakers (and more!) from the Student Art Majors Association of UNC-Chapel Hill
Unidentified artist, Chinese, Liao dynasty (907 – 1125 CE): Sancai-Glazed Foliate Bowl, 10-11th century; pinkish buff earthenware with lead-fluxed clear, emerald-green, and caramel-brown glazes over a white-slip ground. Gift of Austin Scarlett and Smith Freeman in honor of the Museum’s 60th Anniversary, 2018.18.4