Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Ackland Art Museum!
If you are interested in being a docent, please click the link to the left.
Ackland Museum Store – Volunteer Job Description
Ackland Museum Store volunteer associates assist customers with the selection and purchase of merchandise; maintain the neat appearance of the store; and receive, price, and restock merchandise. They may also be asked to provide information about the Museum and its exhibitions and to encourage Museum membership and its benefits.
At the Ackland Museum Store, we pride ourselves in creating an engaging and friendly visitor experience as we share our passion for art and culture through the products we sell. Volunteering in the Store can be a lot of fun as you interact with visitors from around the world, learn and share information about the Museum, explore new products, and contribute to the financial support of the Ackland’s exhibitions and programs.
Training and Commitment:
- Commit to work 8-10 hours month, usually 3-4 hour shifts. This may include special events on evenings or weekends.
- Train with a Store Manager or Associate on our POS (Point of Sale) system, Store procedures, and general Museum information.
- Knowledge and/or willingness to learn POS computer and retail skills including product knowledge.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Willingness to continuously learn about Museum exhibitions and programs, and understand their connection to the Store and its product offerings.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to be tactful under pressure.
- Dependable, accountable, and trustworthy. A sense of humor is also helpful.
- You will be asked to maintain the confidentiality of all proprietary or privileged information of the Museum to which you are exposed while working in the Store.
Please send a resume or questions about volunteering at the Ackland Museum Store to Alice Southwick, Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.